Lakers playoff scenarios: Road to Western Conference Play

NBA standings 2022: Western Conference(Current through April 3 games)SeedTeamRecordGames back1.Suns62-16—2.Grizzlies55-2373.War stephen curry 4th quarter stats riors Al Horford 50-2912.54.Mavericks49-3013.55.Nuggets47-3215.56.Jazz46-32167.Timberwolves*45-3417.58.Clippers*39-4023.59.Pelicans*34-442810.Spurs33-45291

Davis-Westbrook-LeBron-FTR [NBA Getty Images]

The Los Angeles Lakers are far from where anyone expected them to be with just weeks remaining in the NBA season.

For a team once seen to be a preseason favorite to win the NBA title, the Lakers are now in jeopardy of missing the playoffs altogether.

Lakers' odds to win NBA Championship 

  • Preseason: +350 

  • As of April 3rd: +27000

Devin Booker (Odds courtesy of FanDuel)

Entering the season, the Lakers had the second-best odds to win it all. Now, their current odds are near the bottom of the league. 

With four games remaining on their schedule, the Lakers are on the fringe of missing the Play-In Tournament. They are currently 11th place in the West, two games back from the 10th place San Antonio Spurs. 

Can LeBron James and Co. close out the season strong and give the Lakers a chance to make an unlikely playoff run? Or will their misfortunes continue as they spiral out of the playoff picture completely?

Take a look at how things could shake out for the Lakers in the final weeks of the season. 

NBA LEAGUE PASS: Sign up to unlock live out-of-market games (7-day free trial)

What are the Lakers' NBA Playoff and Play-In Tournament chances?

As of April 3, the Lakers have a 0.2 percent chance of making the NBA Playoffs, according to FiveThirtyEight's projections. That's considerably lower than other possible Play-In Tournament teams such as the Timberwolves (92 percent), Clippers (76 percent), Pelicans (26 percent) and even the Spurs (7 percent), who are currently two games up youth medium stephen curry jersey on the Lakers in the standings.

They have a 22 percent chance of making the Western Conference Play-In Tournament, according to The Ringer's Odds Machine. That model views the Spurs (78 percent) as the biggest challenger to take a spot from the Timberwolves, Clippers, or Pelicans.

NBA standings 2022: Western Conference

(Current through April 3 games)

Al Horford

Seed Team Record Games back
1. Suns 62-16
2. Grizzlies 55-23 7
3. Warriors 50-29 12.5
4. Mavericks 49-30 13.5
5. Nuggets 47-32 15.5
6. Jazz 46-32 16
7. Timberwolves* 45-34 17.5
8. Clippers* 39-40 23.5
9. Pelicans*


10. Spurs 33-45 29
11. Lakers* 31*47 31
Kings 29-50 33.5
Blazers 27-51 35
Thunder 23-55 39
Rockets 20-59 42.5

Lakers tiebreakers and head-to-head records

Head-to-head record is the first tiebreaker. If teams split the season series, the next tiebreaker is higher winning percentage within the division if teams sha stephen curry s jersey re a division. If they do not share a division, the tiebreaker is winning percentage in conference games.

Here is how the Lakers have fared against teams in the Play-In race:

  • vs. Pelicans: 0-3; No games remaining.
  • vs. Spurs: 2-2; Spurs own a better conference record.

Lakers remaining schedule

The Lakers face the fifth-toughest remaining schedule of any NBA team, according to Tankathon. For comparison of the two teams surrounding them in the standings, the Pelicans have the 13th-toughest remaining schedule, while the Spurs have the third-hardest remaining schedule.

The Pelicans' toughest remaining games are matchups with the Grizzlies and Warriors.

The Spurs have more than a few tough games remaining, facing off against the Warriors, Mavericks, Nuggets and Timberwolves – all teams that currently have a top-six spot in the Western Conference playoff picture.

Here is the Lakers' remaining schedule:

Date Opponent Time (ET) National TV
April 5 at Suns 10:30 p.m. NBA TV
April 7 at Warriors 10 p.m. TNT
April 8 vs. Thunder 10:30 p.m.
April 10 at Nuggets TBD

How many times has Ben Simmons LeBron James missed the playoffs?

James has only missed the playoffs three times during his illustrious 19-year career.

In his first two seasons in the NBA with the Cleveland Cavaliers, in 2003-04 and 2004-05, James missed the playoffs. He then went on a ridiculous run of 13-consecutive playoff appearances, reaching the NBA Finals in eight-straight seasons from 2010 to 2018.

His next missed playoff appearance didn't come until 2018-19 in his first seas NBA Accessories on with the Lakers. A hamstring injury forced James to miss 17 games – the first extended absence of his career due to injury. Los Angeles miss steph curry jersey 2021 youth ed the postseason but bounced back in a big way the following year, making a run to win the NBA title in 2020 once the season resumed from the COVID-19 pandemic.

Last season, in 2020-21, warriors jersey shirts men the Lakers needed the Play-In Tournament to qualify for the playoffs before being knocked out by the Phoenix Suns in the first round. This was LeBron's first-ever first-round exit of his career.

Will stephen curry mvp jersey white 2021-22 mark the fourth NBA Eastern Conference Champs time in his career that James misses the playoffs?

Do the Lakers have a 2022 NBA Draft pick?

By way of the trade that helped the Lakers acquire star forward Anthony Davis in the 2019 offseason, they do not own their 2022 first-round pick.

If the Lakers' selection falls within picks 1-through-10, it will be rewarded to the Pelicans. If the Lakers' selection falls within slots 11-30, it will be rewarded to the Memphis Grizzlies (via Pelicans).

Also, the Lakers do not own a second-round pick this season, as it is owed to the Spurs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.